SOC 450 Week 10 Assignment – Critical Threats to the Global Environment
Summary (See Rubric information in the SOC 450 Student Course Guide) Please Read all four pages of information for this assignment.
The United Nations has continued to retain you as a consultant for a project that deals with climate and the environment. Most developed countries see the dangers of releasing too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and are committed to climate policies that attain a carbon-free future in the next 30 years. They already see the damaging effects that this gas alone is having on the living conditions of crops, wildlife, and humans. As a result, many member states are dissatisfied with the progress of the eight Millennium Development Goals for international development that they established in 2000.
The member states see a substantial disconnect between several issues that developed and developing countries believe are priorities. For example, Burundi wants one of the goals to focus on food security, while Austria is adamant that a major global issue should be the negotiation of ceasefires in countries in the midst of civil wars.
The UN wants you to work from the list below and prioritize two of the global community’s threats that it deems the most serious to environmental stability.
Instructions for research and writing this assignment:
Step 1 Select two (2) threats. Listed below are eight issues that the UN feels pose the most significant threats to global security. Some of these apply to the Earth’s 7.7 billion people, while others are limited primarily to developing countries. Regardless of where these threats are concentrated, your job as a consultant is to identify two of them that you consider the most critical to the globe’s population.
1. The use of fossil fuels as an energy source.
3. Insufficient educational opportunities in developing countries.
4. A lack of access to technology.
5. Civil war (NOT the U.S. Civil War).
6. The rise in oceans’ levels.
7. Covid-19 and the global pandemic.
8. The dangers of poor countries remaining poor
Write a minimum of an 8-page persuasive paperabout your two threats.
Write an introduction paragraph of at least one-half page in length identifying the two threats you have selected and the purpose of the paper. Then, for the two threats you chose:
1. Identify the factors that make it such a serious risk to the global environment that you would choose to present it to the UN
2. Analyze the role that humans have played in aggravating this threat to the Earth’s environment.
3. Suggest initiatives that the global community can take to mitigate the worst effects of this environmental threat.
4. Write a conclusion paragraph of at least one-half page in length that summarizes your impressions of these risks for global stability.
1. This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). For assistance and
information, please refer to the SWS link in the left-hand menu of your course and check with your professor for any additional instructions.
2. In order to earn full credit, the answers to each of the three questions must be at least two full pages long, making six pages. You must also include the one-half page introduction and one-half page conclusion at the beginning and end of the paper, adding up to one page of content.
Finally, you must include a graph or table (see 5, below) that will be at least one page in length.
The entire paper will be a minimum of eight pages long.
3. You must use at least seven credible sources (excluding Wikipedia, dictionaries and encyclopedias) that are appropriate for the subjects under discussion. Do not use Wikipedia or Wiki sources, or blogs!
4. You must use only double-spacing and not place extra spacing between paragraphs or section headings.
5. As part of your answer to any one of the questions, you must include a graph, table or chart using quantifiable data that supports your argument. You need only one graph for the entire assignment, and although you may download this item from the Internet, it may be no longer than one page in length. You must comprehensively explain beneath the graph what the data means. Otherwise, it will be of no use to the reader.
PROFESSOR’S ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS (REQUIRED):
1) Include a Title page with the following information (Title of Assignment, Student’s Full Name, Strayer University, Date of Submission, Professor’s name: Dr. G. Royal-Smith).
2) The body of your paper (written content) must contain properly cited intext citationsusing SWS guidelines.
3) This assignment must contain a page of properly cited references sources titled as the Reference page.
4) This paper must be submitted to the SafeAssign Plagiarism Program via BlackBoard. Papers that are not submitted, cannot be opened for grading, or cannot be read in SafeAssign due to incompatibility with the SA program may receive a zero score. It is the student’s responsibility to submit a GRADE READY paper and to make sure that the paper is BlackBoard compatible.
5) Week 10 Assignment Papers must be submitted on time. Please consider your FIRST submission as Final due to the fact that the Quarter ends in Week 11. Once the assignment area closes, it will remain closed. Late Papers may be penalized according to Strayer University and SOC 450 Late Assignment policies.
6) Assignments must be the original work of students utilizing credible and properly cited sources. Students will be notified of very high similarity scores or other irregularities contained in the submitted assignment. Assignment papers that are deemed to be plagiarized will be further evaluated by Dr. Royal-Smith and the Office of Student Affairs (Academic Integrity). If plagiarism is substantiated, the Office of Student Affairs will provide recommendations including (but not limited to) a failing grade for the assignment or other actions.
7) Please take this assignment seriously, follow ALL instructions. The assignment will require planned time management for research and drafting.