Over the eight weeks of the course, you will work on a paper that addresses a current controversial issue. This paper is to be in the form of an argument. You will select a topic, choose an issue related to that topic, thoroughly research both sides of the issue, and then write a paper that supports one side or the other of the issue. Your paper must define the issue, present evidence on both sides of the issue, and then argue that one side is stronger and more persuasive than the other. Your paper must address at least three relevant aspects of the issue. More specific directions for each part of the paper will be found within the specific assignment in the weekly modules.
This week, you will choose one of the following topics for your project:
Single-payer health care
Free college for everyone
Cancel student-loan indebtedness
Universal basic income
Care of the aging
Legalization of prostitution
Address the following:
● State the topic chosen from the list or topic approved by instructor.
● State the specific issue you will explore.
● This must be stated either as a question (“Should prostitution be legalized?”) or a whether-or-not statement (“Whether prostitution should be legalized”).
● For the stated issue, state three (3) aspects of the issue that you think you will likely develop in your paper.
● Briefly state why you have chosen each aspect of the issue.
Note: You are not confined to three aspects only, but you must develop at least three. As you develop your paper, you may find other aspects that you deem more relevant, and may add or substitute those.
Example: For the topic of prostitution, you might examine the aspect of personal autonomy, public health aspects, and law enforcement aspects, at a minimum.
Example: For the topic of free healthcare for undocumented persons, you might address economic aspects, ethical aspects, and public health aspects, at a minimum.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
Length: 1.5 full pages (not including title page or references page)
12-point Times New Roman font