Week 5: Discussion-Coordination and Mechanisms of Coordination
Using your current employer or a previous employer ( Healthcare organization)as a frame of reference, briefly discuss in 2 paragraphs the importance of coordination of work efforts for your organization and provide examples of two methods of coordination that were utilized and what you believe was the rationale for their use. Mintzberg’s coordination categories (below) as well as material found on pp.120-122 in the text can be used as a reference.
- Direct supervision means that one individual is responsible of the work of others.
- Standardization of work process exists when the content of work is specified or programmed.
- Standardization of skills exists when the kind of training necessary to do the work is specified.
- Standardization of output exists when the results of the work are specified.
- Mutual adjustment exists when work is coordinated through informal communication.
Please post your initial response by Tuesday October 5 11:59 pm.