READ: These two articles
- Cole Teju. “The White-Savior Industrial Complex.” The Atlantic, 21 Mar. 2012, https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/03/the-white-savior-industrial-complex/254843/ (Links to an external site.). Accessed 13 July 2020. (Link to pdf of article) (approx. 8 pages)
- Cauterruci, Christina. “The Lessons of Kony 2012.” Slate, 16 Sept. 2016, https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2016/09/kony-2012-quickly-became-a-punch-line-but-what-if-it-did-more-good-than-harm.html (Links to an external site.). Accessed 13 July 2020. (approx. 5 pages)
(Initial post length should be 100-200 words, give or take)
1. First pick one statement (or idea) from each article that struck you. What was it and what was your first response to it.
2. Then chose one of the questions below to answer. (Don’t repeat the points you made in your first responses.)
CHOOSE ONE QUESTION TO ANSWER BELOW
- What do you think of “white savior industrial complex”? Has it or might it affect your own desire to make a difference or give back?
- What do you think about “slacktivism” such as that encouraged by the ice bucket challenge or the Kony2012 video? Have you participated in such activism? What are the pluses and minuses?
- Do you think that young activists have learned useful lessons about how to use social media? What good can come out this and what harm could be perpetrated?
- In what ways do you see current social justice movements doing better and in what ways do these movements engage in problematic practices?