You will be required to watch and review one stand up comedy special. Within your review, you should focus on how the comic utilizes all aspects of public speaking skills to elicit a positive response from the audience. IF the comic does no get a positive response from the audience, analyze where they could have made improvements. This review should be at least 2 pages following MLA format.
For this assignment, follow the writing guide below.
· A brief history on the comic’s career and what they are most popular for
· Why you’ve chose this particular special and the context surrounding it (year, societal climate, pop culture etc.)
· Analysis of the comedian’s delivery style and success with the audience
o What kind of subject matter do they focus on (politics, relationships, culture, etc)
o How much and in what ways do they use their body (elaborate gestures, imitation, using the mic/mic stand or stool as props) to work through a joke/story?
o How much and in what ways do they use their voice (tone, volume, pitch, rate, pauses) to work through a joke/story?
o How heavily do they rely on shared experiences with the audience?
o How often do they point out audience members to enhance a joke? What is the crowd reaction?
o Which positive aspects of humor are shown (be specific)?
o Which negative aspects of humor are shown (be specific)?
· Who do you think is the intended audience for this comedian?
· Do you think this comedian is an effective public speaker? Why or why not?
· A general overview of your review/opinion on the special chosen
Be sure to include a citation of the stand up special that you’ve chosen.