Your Lab Signature Assignment is an oral report on a microbial disease. Create a three- to five-minute video response that includes the following:
- Select a disease that affects humans or animals whose causative agent is a bacterium, virus, fungus, protozoa, or other microorganism.
- Create and deliver a presentation on your chosen disease in which you report on each of the following in detail:
- Causative Agent: Describe and classify the microbe involved. If known, explain how the microbe causes/transmits the disease or interferes with normal body function. Also, describe the vector and/or life cycle for the microbe (if applicable).
- Population(s) affected: What population(s) is/are at highest risk of contracting the disease? Are there any groups of people who should be tested? Please include statistical/geographical data and trends (from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, or other source [http://www.cdc.gov, http://www.who.int, etc.]).
- Course of Disease: What are the usual signs/symptoms of someone with the disease? How is the disease diagnosed? What is the usual time course for recovery? Are there complications and/or long-term effects?
- Interventions: Describe possible treatments and/or medical interventions. Is there a vaccine available? How can the disease be best prevented or kept under control?
Videos can be recorded using any software or tool, but all videos are required to be uploaded to My Panopto Videos for assignment submission.
You can also use the Panopto Desktop Recording tool to create your video.