Study the required readings in this module and answer the following questions:
- Explain what an operating system is, its functions, and its components
- Describe at least 3 different types of OS and their primary functions.
- Explain operating system architecture and its components.
Using information from the modular background readings and any good quality resource you can find, write a 3-page (excluding the title page and reference pages), single-spaced report to address the questions in this assignment.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
- Your ability to address all questions based on reading materials and your own research.
- Your ability to write a report clearly and succinctly.
- Effective and appropriate use of in-text citations to the assigned readings and other source material to support your arguments.
Components of a computer system
Operating systems, their goals, classification, and architecture
- Garg, R., & Verma, G. (2017). Chapter 1: Operating systems: Overview. In Operating systems: An introduction. Available in the Trident Online Library.
Note: This chapter discusses the goals and classifications of operating systems
- Garg, R. & Verma, G. (2017). Chapter 2: Operating systems architecture. In Operating systems: An introduction.
Note: This chapter explains the architecture of OS.
- Stone, S. M. (2013, May 24). Operating Systems 1 – Introduction [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AjReRMoG3Y
Mobile Operating systems
- Data Is Beautiful (2019, October 9). (UPDATED!) Most popular mobile OS 1999-2019 [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyMB4zm9so
- WawamuStats (2019, October 4). Most used mobile phone operating system (OS) (2009-2019) [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etrE_NcjXX8