1. Answer Discussion Questions (Terms in Review) # 1 through 4
1) Compare the advantages and disadvantages of the survey to those of observation. Under which circumstances could you make a case for using observation?
2) What ethical risks are involved in observation? In the use of unobtrusive measures?
3) Based on present or past work experience, suggest problems that could be resolved by using observation-based data
4) Distinguish between the following:
a.The relative value of communication and observation
b.Nonverbal, linguistic, and extralinguistic analysis
c.Factual and inferential observation
2. On companion website
Read Case Study: Ramada Demonstrates its Personal Best. Answer questions 1-3 http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0073373702/855241/RamadaDemonstratesItsPersonalBest.pdf
1) Build the management-research question hierarchy Ramada
2) Apply the research process model to the Ramada research initiative
a. Explain the role and process of exploration in Ramada’s research
b. What role did secondary data play in the exploration phase of the research?
c. What steps and phases in the process model can you match to the Ramada research?
d. What research process decisions are made? (Remember to include research by outside suppliers.)
e. What sampling methodologies are used? Why was this appropriate for this study?
f. Describe the research design and discuss its strengths and weaknesses
g. What role did property owners/managers play in the research design?
h. Why did Ramada choose to conduct the research in a nontraditional, party-like atmosphere? What are some advantages and disadvantages of such an approach?
3) How are the research finding reflected in the ultimate management decisions?